Tuesday, September 27, 2011
Canning
The word "Canning" was the scariest word to me until now. I think it was because it was something I watched very skilled women do when I was younger. Women who could whip up the most delicious dinner or dessert out of anything, PRO'S. But last fall when I went to help my sister to do some canning, I discovered it wasn't so hard, then again I had someone right by my side telling me what to do and how to do it. So, when my Mom handed me a bag of peaches and suggested I "can" them I think I joked and felt my heart speed up. But I thought, "Hey, if I can make Eclairs and awesome meatballs, how hard could it be"? So I got my cute little "Better Homes" jars(which were the cheapest at Wal-Mart) some pectin(which Dave helped me find) and started my "canning" adventure. The first recipe I came across wanted me to put lemon juice in it, but I had no lemon juice so we went to recipe #2. It was simple looking, 12 peaches, 4 1/2 cups sugar and 2 oz. of pectin. "Great", I thought "I have all of that". So I began to boil my peaches, and wash the jars in the sink. Well I used my big pot to boil the peaches in, which meant I had my medium size pot to boil and sterilize my jars in(it only fit 2 at a time). So after boiling the peaches I added the sugar and pectin. Well, after you let that boil for 1 minute you put them in the JARS . So, it was very rushed trying to get a jar sterilized so I could put the jam in and then put it in hot water for 10 more mins. Only two jars at a time which meant the jam was starting to set in the bowel it was sitting in. It was a mess and I think I burned my finger tips so much that the feeling is gone:) But this morning we had some of our peach jam on toast and it was soooo good! "Canning" is something I could really get into, just need another big pot:) I encourage all of you to try it, the out come is very rewarding!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is Quentin on his new bike
Sweet Bike!
Dave, Liz and Quentin on the beach
Bath time :)
first bath at home for Henrik, Quentin wasn't to sure about it.
Moab 2010 & Delicate Arch
Henrik Stanley Nuffer, 10 pds 5 ounces and 22 1/2 inches long
Born Dec 6, 2008 he is the newest member of our growing family. This is the outfit that Great Grandma Nuffer gave him for Christmas
Sweet Henrik

No comments:
Post a Comment